The SoundCloud file embedded above contains an audio recording of a poem + commentary in the format that will be used for the SOLO episodes of the podcast:
- A poem read by Mark McGuinness (‘The Darkling Thrush’ by Thomas Hardy)
- Mark’s commentary on the poem (in this case relating its theme of hope and despair to the first UK coronavirus lockdown, which had just begun when Mark recorded this)
- The poem recording played again (to help listeners appreciate different aspects of it in the light of Mark’s commentary)
When listening to the recording, please note:
- This is a demo of a SOLO episode of the new podcast, featuring a classic poem; the podcast will also feature GUEST POET episodes, where a contemporary poet reads one of their poems and Mark interviews them about the poem.
- The recording does NOT feature any of the atmospheric music and soundscape that Javier Weyler will create for the finished podcast.
- The recording has NOT been professionally produced; the actual podcast recordings will be professionally produced by the agency Breaking Waves.
- This webpage does NOT feature any of the design elements that will be created for the podcast by Irene Hoffman.
If you would like to hear a finished podcast created by Mark McGuinness and featuring music by Javier Weyler, audio production by Breaking Waves and design by Irene Hoffman, you can search for ‘The 21st Century Creative’ on the iTunes podcast platform, or follow this link.